Sunday 1 February 2009

1st February already

Well were has January gone? One month on and not a lot has happened with the project. I've been spending most of my spare time consolidating my wargaming projects and finishing off units that have been on the bench for far too long. Still have a few to paint but, while painting, I have been mulling over baseboard sizes for the Boscarne Wharf layout. As I could be moving house in the next couple of years I have to plan this layout to be portable. Nether do I think I will be changing the car for a while so it will need to fit into the back of a Peugeot 306. Not a lot of space. Looking at track plan and available space in car, 3.5 foot is the maximum board length. 3.5 foot legths also fits the track plan well making the scenic length 10.5 feet long and adding a further 14 inches to the Grogley end increasing the temptation to add a halt. I've not finalised width but I'm considering that junction end be "Y" shaped following the shape of the track plan. Thus giving baseboard ends that are 90 degrees to the track and not cutting across at an angle. This would make this end approximately 2.5 feet wide depending on scenics. This would also create two narrow fiddle yards splaying out at an angle to each other. (Would this create a problem in operation?). The other boards could be as narrow as 18 inches. I may be able to get away with three square baseboards 3.5 ft x 2 ft but keeping the boards narrow will mean less scenic work. Also by introducing an irregular shaped baseboard will test my fledgling carpentry skills. I do need to keep in mind that this is supposed to be a test layout. It is better to fail and learn than not learn at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment