Sunday 29 March 2009

Further thoughts

While driving to work this morning I was reflecting on what I was doing the previous evening. Watching the Barcelona v Chelsea game, more sleepers where being cut and stained. I also opened the P4 point kit and read though the instructions. This brought me to thinking about my lack of progress with Boscarne. To create another short piece of test track and/or build the point kit is fine but I don't feel I'm making any progress. Building baseboards is where my head is really at at the moment and putting this off until I have more information on the Boscarne site is frustrating me. So why have I not put the wood to the saw? It's because I have this demon that says it has to be right. Boscarne is a real location so my layout should reflect this, including the correct height of rail above the river bed. Without this information I don't know the height of the baseboard edges. Hmmm.... is this so important?

This layout is suppose to be a test bed to see if I can achieve an acceptable standard. It is not an exact model of the real Boscarne Junction. A real location it is but with a fictitious history applied creating a junction that is different to the reality. I've already shortened the track plan and moved the river closer to the junction. I do need to keep an eye on the scenic areas to try and capture the feel of this location but it should not matter if I am a few feet out in the height of rail over river bed. I need to start building the layout soon.

So Bank Holiday weekend coming up should be an ideal opportunity .... but working Sunday and Monday, this is after a trip to Stratford upon Avon, for a bit of culture, on Friday/Saturday. Baseboard building will have to be postponed until the following week. At least I've made the decision to make a best guesstimate of track height. If it doesn't match reality I'll have to live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment