Sunday 25 June 2023

Version 9

Just when I thought version 8 was the final track plan, I’ve now produced a version 9.

When starting to consider how the layout was going to be operated, my thoughts went to the enjoyment I gained when invited to operate other layouts. Especially those where a signalman controls a signal box and the train driver has to obey the signals. The use of bell codes, interlocking lever frames, and train driving to signals fascinated me. It all added to the operating experience and is something I'd like to pursue for Boscarne Junction.I questioned how I going to include this feature into my model?

If I'm going to create off scene signal boxes in the Fiddle Yards, which use bell codes to communicate with Boscarne Junction signal box, I have a problem with the Wenford branch. There was no signal box at Dunmere or on the Wenford branch. I believe the Guard of the Wenford train walked to Boscarne signal box to retrieve/return the key for the Dunmere Ground Frame. Then the train crew operated the two ground frames. I thought this is something I’d like to include in the model.

In an attempt to include this type of operation, I’ve decided to separate the layout into three operating areas

  1. Boscarne Signal box & Wadebridge Fiddle Yard (There would be the possibility to split Wadebridge Fiddle Yard away from the Boscarne Box).
  2. The Bodmin North, Bodmin General & Wenford Fiddle Yard.
  3. Train Driver who’ll also control both Boscarne and Dunmere ground frames as the train crew would have done.

In doing the above, should give a reasonably authentic operating experience to this layout.

At this point I’d like to thank David Woodcock again. I’ve only been able to consider doing this due to his contribution with the signal diagrams and locking tables. Many thanks David.

I started mess around with the plan to see if I could squeeze in Dunmere Ground Frame and the junction turnout into the track plan. The only way I found was to move the whole of version 8 track plan back to the left. This dramatically reduced the scenic area before the level crossing which I’d created in version 8. I felt this compromise for home use was well worth taking as it will increase operational interest. There were always thoughts with version 8 I’d add a further scenic board at the Wadebridge end for exhibitions, version 9 will be no different. Still a bit left to do as there are still a few scenic items to identify and mark on the plan along with checking on edge profiles and land contours.

 

Above is how the layout will look when at home. I briefly mentioned that the track plan is now drawn to fit the baseboards. This is due to the comment about knowing angles for baseboard construction. I will construct the three baseboards making the curved scenic section with the same diverging angle (23 degrees). They will either be stackable on each other when boxed or I should be able to construct a rack into which they will all slide.

Below is my cursory thoughts for exhibitions.



No comments:

Post a Comment